Editor’s note: Unfortunately a minor accident with a willfully obtuse driver, a series of personal matters that demanded my immediate attention and a somewhat maddening case of writer’s block have kept me away from this website for the past few days; to put it politely, I’m fucking exhausted. As a result, today’s Brief Thought is by necessity devoid of flowery introductions or the usual, expansive sourcing regular readers have come to expect – think of it more as an exasperated rant than a full article:
Note: if you’re having trouble reading the above meme, just right click on it and select “view this image” to pop out a larger version. As always please feel free to share this meme anywhere you like; at this point, there’s precious little time for the Trump voters in your life to take a step back, reconsider their actions and avoid becoming collaborators.
Naturally, there will be some who read what I’ve written here and object strongly to my harsh characterization of the Trump administration; those people are of course, demonstrably fucking ridiculous. Please allow me to remind you what Trump’s government has “accomplished” so far and do keep in mind that I’m undoubtedly forgetting several horrible things because I’ve had a very long week:
- obliterated financial regulations on banks, brokers & wealthy corporations
- dismantled environmental protections at precisely the moment when the future of all life on this planet depends on strengthening them
- openly demonized & legally persecuted Muslims from countries that have never successfully attacked us while giving a pass to our allies who actually *do* fund terrorism
- threatened Iran & appear to be dragging us headfirst into a war nobody wants & few are certain we can even win
- attacked science programs while simultaneously empowering fundie nutjobs to try and pass nonsensical laws at the state level
- empowered ICE agents to gleefully split up our families & communities in cruel raids designed to entrap harmless migrants
- declared the press the “enemy of the people” & denied outlets that don’t cover Trump favorably the right to participate in official press conferences
- presided over a soaring number of hate crimes while racists & nazis openly celebrate Trump’s every action
- openly lied with little regard for being caught so many times that experts have called fact-checking the government “pointless”
- repeatedly cited non-existent terrorist attacks as justification for Trump’s openly discriminatory policies & statements while falsely accusing the media of downplaying attacks
Please note that this list does not contain a single reference to trumped up liberal conspiracy theories about Russia and focuses almost entirely on policies the Trump government has actually begun enacting; as opposed to horrifying things the President has promised in the future but hasn’t quite gotten around to working on – have I mentioned that he’s only been in office for six weeks yet?
I honestly couldn’t give a fuck who you voted for at this point but if you’re still supporting Trump now, please know that you’re enabling fascism, bigotry & selfish, amoral elites who mean to fuck us all over on a historic scale. Right now you need to accept that you made a mistake when you voted for downmarket Mussolini; shit happens and we all screw up sometimes, but you either need to turn the fuck back or face the consequences of supporting fascism & collaborating with hatemongers.
Quite frankly, history has a long memory & mutherfuckers still supporting Trump ain’t seen nothing yet.
- Nina Illingworth
Donate to keep ninaillingworth.com up and running via PayPal:
Paypal Account: email@example.com – please include a note saying your donation is for ninaillingworth.com; thanks!
Donate to ninaillingworth.com via Patreon: